Lehigh Valley Kayak & Canoe Club Minutes
– January 5, 2017
Location: Dan and Paula Rempp’s house
Executive Committee attendees:
President – Linda A Martin
Vice President – Larry Palmer
Recording Secretary – Lisa Aderhold
Treasurer – Pat Beltz
Membership Secretary – Dan Rempp
Member(s) at Large – Hans Wagner, Eric Schweitzer
Past President – Scott Douglas
Executive Committee members not in attendance: none
At 7:15pm Linda A Martin called the Executive Committee Meeting to order following a potluck dinner at Dan and Paula Rempp’s house. We had 15 people attend this meeting; this included the above Executive Committee members, Heather Cichowic, Greg Wojcik, Bob Brunda, Fran Drake, John Rako, Bill Smith, and Paula Rempp.
Secretary’s Report: Lisa Aderhold provided copies of the report at the meeting. Dan Rempp identified several changes for the December report. It will be presented at the February meeting to allow for review and vote.
Treasurer’s Report: Pat Beltz provided the December 2016 financial report. The Savings Ending Balance was $14,177.21, and the Checking Ending balance was $3,579.99. Pat indicated the initial $2,600 check for the Upper Bucks YMCA pool sessions as not cleared yet. A motion to approve the report was made by Larry Palmer, and second by Hans Wagner.
Pat initiated a discussion on what minimum amount do we want to keep in the checking account. Some discussion ensued, but the topic was deferred for further discussion at the next meeting. She indicated the final $2,600 for the Upper Bucks YMCA (remaining balance) will be due in April 2017.
Linda A Martin initiated a discussion on club donations. A motion to allocate $500 for donations was made by Scott Douglas, and second by Larry Palmer. The following 5 organizations were selected to receive $100 each: Lehigh Nature Center, Wildlands Conservancy, Friends of Nockamixon, TRR- Team River Runner, and American Whitewater. A motion to approve these donations was made by Larry Palmer, and second by Bob Brunda.
Membership Report: Dan Rempp reported we have 83 dues paying members as of the new year; comprised of 62 families. Meetup has 625 followers, and Facebook has 964 followers.
Webmaster’s Report: Dan Rempp indicated he purchased 1 year of Technical Support with EnterNet at a cost of $225 to provide ongoing support for the new website design. He noted that the maintenance of the site is very different than the previous site and the support could become costly if we need them to fix or modify anything that he is not able to do. As an example he would like to include a section to post the water temperatures for the common waterways in the area; such as Blue Marsh and Beltzville. A motion to approve the expense was made by Eric Schweitzer, and second by Larry Palmer.
Dan Rempp further noted additional upcoming expenses for the website will include – Email “Constant Contact”, Meetup Group dues (based on group membership count), and Hosting of website. Scott Douglass made a motion to approve up to $700 for these expenses in 2017.
Ice Breaker Event. Friday, April 7, 2017. Lisa Aderhold indicated we paid a deposit to reserve the Dining Hall downstairs. This will be a Potluck meal. Discussed doing a presentation and recognize the pool class attendees (all classes). The class instructors will be asked to encourage these people to come to this event to recognize their achievement, and to meet other members of the club.
Winter Pool Sessions. At Upper Bucks YMCA. The first pool night is on Sunday, January 8th. The committee expressed concern that we have no one signed up for the canoe classes at this time.
John Rako indicated he will post notice of the pool classes to the Hunterton kayak club, and also to the KCCNY (Ney York) club for members who might have interest in coming.
Linda A Martin asked for input on last year’s pool class participation. Eric Schweitzer indicated he knew of one class member, who could not do any of the Sunday trips, due to having another commitment.
Scott Douglas recommended we establish an Instructional Coordinator to maintain a consistent teaching approach that follows the current ACA accepted methods. A discussion of the By-Laws noted that the President has authority to designate a Standing Committee. Linda A Martin asked Scott Douglas if he would accept the role for this year; Scott accepted.
Beginner Series. Eric Schweitzer indicated he would again lead these, and will seek to limit who comes on the trip to keep the trip size manageable. The committee discussed options to maintain control of the size; limit it to those who are in this year’s pool class. Scott Douglas indicated this series is intended to be a continuation of the pool classes, and there should be no more than 10 people per trip organizer. The committee discussion led to a recommendation that Eric will email the Beginner trip schedule directly to those who were in the class; these trips will not be posted events. The committee will further discuss how to create an alternative continuation of trips (Sundays on the River) for those who are not in this year’s class.
Intermediate Series. Scott Douglas will provide more information after the 2017 dam releases are announced.
Little Lehigh on Tuesdays. May 2017. For these club practice sessions, Eric Schweitzer volunteered to be there every week in May, and Hans Wagner volunteered to cover June. Dan Rempp will contact the Allentown Parks Service to get the necessary approval for our continued use of this area; which he also will discuss the Larry March Slalom event (for September). A discussion of logistics took place of how would we discern who is, or is not, a club member at the site. Based on general observation, the majority believed only members have been coming on these days to practice.
Sundays on the River. Linda A Martin indicated she will work with Janet Whipple to coordinate posted trips once the dam release dates are announced.
Flat Water/Recreational Trips. Dan Rempp indicated that most of our members identified themselves as interested in flat water paddlers. He will be the coordinator for this year’s flat water trips. He is asking that anyone who plans to run a trip this year that they contact him.
Certification Classes. Scott Douglas indicated we did not have enough participants of interest to hold a 5 day certification class last year. Eric Schweitzer, Larry Palmer, and Linda A Martin indicated that they need to recertify this year. The committee also discussed who might be interested in obtaining certification; do we have any additional female members interested in certification. Hans Wagner indicated he would check to see if his wife would be interested.
Scott Douglas recommended we also focus on doing an annual instruction/certification for both First Aid and AED. Larry Palmer indicated he is a certified to teach this.
Paddler of the Year (Qualifications Review). Linda A Martin indicated she formed a committee comprised of Bob Brunda and Chris Buhrman to review what qualifies an individual to be a candidate. Linda handed out 3 printed versions asking for feedback as a future topic of discussion.
Informal Audit. Scott Douglas indicated his wife Amy will not be able to do ongoing, informal audits; which doing so could risk her license. However, it would be too costly to hire a paid auditor to do an official audit. He indicated in lieu of expensive audits, we need to continue to document procedures to maintain audit control with checks and balances. He noted that we put Amy’s recommendations into use, and now we can continue that path by looking at how we can strengthen our own controls.
Pat Beltz indicated as an example we should have a list at each pool session of the members who paid upfront for their full 13 weeks of pool sessions. So if anyone is covering at the Check-In table at the Sunday pool sessions, they can verify that the person actually paid previously.
Scott Douglas mentioned we should look at our main areas of cash flow – how cash receipts are taken at events such as pool sessions, membership dues, dinners, etc, and how these funds are forwarded to the Treasurer and documented. The discussions centered on how do we document the flow of cash – from the initial recipient, and to the deposit, and how this should be verified by the Treasure and others. Scott gave the example that we have some of the documentation already; such as at the Holiday Party a spreadsheet was prepared that listed the total attendees, and how much they paid and the method of payment (online, check, cash). At the pool sessions Mary Giorlando has a sign-in sheet. The committee asked Pat Beltz to follow-up with Mary for her recommendations.
River Cleanup. Bill Smith indicated he would like to get the club members involved in an upcoming (late April) cleanup along the river by Constitution Drive. The committed asked Bill to post the event to get volunteers.
Legal Concerns. Dan Rempp indicated he has been approached more than once regarding club activities that did not have proper legal approval; this involved events at Lake Nockamixon and the Walnutport Canal. Lake Nockamixon advised him that the club needs both their approval to conduct events at the lake, and complete a form with the PA Fish & Boat commission (if 10 or more people attend the event). The committee noted this was not an issue in the past, but it might be more of an issue now that LL Bean conducts their own events at the lake and this is in competition with their events; and LL Bean provides steady funding to the park. He was approached at the Walnutport Canal festival by a representative of the PA Fish & Boat commission that our club did not have permission to conduct the boat race on the canal; which was a paid event.
Next General Membership Meeting at the Wildlands Conservancy, Thursday, Feb 2nd at 7pm.
Pool Practice Sessions – Sundays at 5pm, January through April at the Upper Bucks YMCA.
Others – See Website Forums page, also Facebook & Meetup sites (Lehigh Valley Kayak & Canoe Club) for current trip postings.
Linda A Martin adjourned the meeting at 9:30pm. The next General Membership Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Feb 2nd at 7:00pm at the Wildlands Conservancy, Emmaus, PA.