LVKCC Minutes – February 3, 2022

Place – Wildlands Conservancy

General Membership Meeting

Executive Committee Members:

President – Dan Morton Vice President – Rachel Connolly

Recording Secretary – Mike Swartley Treasurer – Rita Snyder

Membership Secretary – Jill Evans

Members at Large – Gery Kirkner & Dave Dawson

Non-Executive Members

Webmaster – Dan Rempp

Educational Instruction Coordinator – Scott Douglas

Total members present:  25

______________________________________________________________________

The meeting started at 7:00pm with Pat Beltz and JC Rankin made a very enjoyable and informative presentation of their recent camp, bike and kayak vacation to the Florida Keys.

The business meeting opened at 8:05pm.

Secretary’s Report

A motion was made to accept the January 8th Executive Committee meeting minutes as posted on the club website.

MP –  Pete    MS – Dave  P –  All     O –  None

Treasurer’s Report

January 2022 report was provided. 

A motion was made to approve the January Treasurer’s report.

MP – Mike    MS – Pat P –  All     O –  None

Membership Report

Jill Evans provided the following membership statistics.

   

Memberships as of the beginning of February 2022  

Total Members 2022: 219

Total Individual Memberships:   86

Total Individual Lifetime     4  

Total Family Memberships   47

Total Family Lifetime     1

Total Memberships:   133

Total Lifetime:     5

2548 members of the Facebook group 

1438 subscribers to Meetup

Webmaster’s Report

Dan Rempp reported :

Cie emailed that the training videos are not working on our website. Dan is working to fix this.

A few complaints have been received about the Rodale Pool waivers having to be signed every day.  For convenience, the Rodale Waiver can now be printed and filled out in advance from the “Forms” page of the Club Website.. 

A link to Moulton Avery’s Cold Water Safety websites in now active under “Links”.

Education Report 

Some changes coming to the Education Budget Request

First Moving Water occurred last Saturday. 12 attendees despite the weather.

All boats are to be inspected each session!

 Pool Report

Dan Rempp reported:

Thanks to all the volunteers who do inspections, 

Financials for the Pool was presented. Costs included Pool rental and supplies.  Will need 4.7 people to show up each session to break even.

May need someone to lead at the Pool desk March 12 & 26

Pool Expenses to date all sources  = $5602.38

Pool Income to date all sources      = $4005.00

Projected Pool Income all sources  = $2212.00

“To Date Total Pool Income all sources” less  “To date Total Pool Expenses all sources” = $614.62 (To Date Projected Profit)

Main Topics

Old Business

Larry March Slalom

Skip and Gery volunteered to run the 2022 Slalom. Scheduled for 9, 10, and 11 September.. Dan Rempp has offered to provide advice. 

New Business

ACA Paddle America Membership

A discussion was held on the ACA Paddle American Membership as it does not allow club members to use ACA facilities unless they are ACA individual members. This includes Sugar Island.  A motion made to drop the membership.

MP – Dave  MS – Pat  P –  All     O –  None

T shirt design update

Susan Ritchie reported on her T-Shirt design. Design includes all the various paddles our club uses.  Shirt material possibilities include polyester, mixed poly/cotton or all cotton. Some discussion on shirt materials.

Decided to send out a survey on choices of sizes and materials. Cap design to be surveyed also. Rachel volunteered to do the survey. 

There are coffee mugs to sell also – but not at the pool.

Werner Paddle

Dan Morton reported Werner said all its paddles are committed. Werner said this is through through 2023 and we should check back in 6 months.

Pool Volunteers Recognition

Discussed the Motion to show appreciation for the volunteers with pizza and non-alcoholic drinks. Decided instead to consider a pizza party after the last pool session. .

  Motion made to approve spending $10 per volunteer on pizza and soft drinks at a party after the last pool session.

MP – Rita  MS-Susan P –  All     O –  None

Current Committees

Trip Policy Committee

Continuing work on Instructors and Trip Leader criteria. Most is done. Policy for trip leaders unresolved. Committee includes Dave as chairperson, Dan Morton, Rita Snyder, Pat Beltz, Sheldon Linn, and Scott Douglas.

Insurance Policy Committee

This is a new committee split off due to the insurance questions that the Trip Policy Committee raised.  Members are Pat, Dave, Dan Rempp and Rita.

Spring and Fall Trips

Dave Dawson: Spring Trip will be to Pohick Bay Regional Park in the Washington DC area from 22 to 25 April 2022. Already 34 signed up!

Program Committee 

March 3rd meeting Scott and Pat are to show pictures of their Galapagos trip. 

Working on an October speaker.

Hospitality Committee

Still need Hospitality Committee members to run icebreakers and parties.  Bob Brunda and Rita Snyder are current members. We are seeking additional members.

Permanent Home for Boats Committee

LL Bean is donating an enclosed trailer that is large enough to house all our boats and equipment. The trailer is currently located at Marsh Creek State Park. The trailer will be available in the spring.

Various options on transporting and storing the trailer. A leading prospect is for it to be moved to the LOC in Lehighton.

Paddler of the Year 

Nominations still needed by March15th. 

Tohickon Release Committee

Dan Morton created a committee to increase Club presence at the Tohickon releases. March 19th and 20th are the next releases.

Red Cross Adult First Aid/CPR Blended Learning Class

JC reported first classes are on March 13, 2022 at Lehigh Gap Nature Pavilion.

Discussion on Support to LL Bean and LOC for their Support

Skip mentioned the idea of Club support for LL Bean and the LOC for all the great support they give us. A discussion followed on how to do this. One idea is to suggest members to work as instructors for these outfitters. 

LOAs for Lake Nockamixon

Dan Rempp asked for dates for any trip leaders who want to lead at Nockamixon. This includes course instruction, and any moonlight and day trips.  

Upcoming Meetings/Events

March 3rd 2022 Wildlands Conservancy   Scott & Pat to talk on Galapagos trip

April 2022 Ice Breaker   Location?   Spring Trip to Pohick Bay Regional Park

May 2022 Ledges Paddle   Lehigh Gap Nature Center

June 2022 Ledges Paddle   Lehigh Gap Nature Center

July 2022 No meeting

August 2022 No meeting

September 2022 Ledges Paddle – Lehigh Gap Nature Center   Pizza? Swap Meet? Slalom race

October 2022 List of Nominees

November 2022 Election of Officers

December 2022 Holiday Party

A motion was made to adjourn the meeting.  

MP – Rita  MS –  Rachel      MP    All     O – None

The meeting was adjourned at 9:17pm.

Respectfully submitted: Mike Swartley– Recording Secretary