Lehigh Valley Kayak and Canoe Club
PO Box 20194, Lehigh Valley, PA 18002
LVKCC MINUTES – June 4, 2019
Little Lehigh Parkway Trail, Allentown, PA
LVKCC Swap Meet and General Membership Meeting
Executive Committee Members Present:
President — Linda A. Martin
Treasurer — Dave Dawson
Recording Secretary — Joe Ondek
Membership Secretary — Paula Rempp
Webmaster — Dan Rempp
Members at Large — Pat Beltz / Jim Schulte
General Members Present (count): Attendance not collected
Linda Martin called the membership meeting to order at 7:00 pm and presented the following agenda
- Secretary Report – May Minutes
- Treasurers Report – June Report
- Members Report – Paula Rempp
- Web Master Report – Dan Rempp
- Education Report – Scott Douglas
- Beginners Series – Pat Beltz
- Burlington Fall Trip – Dave Dawson
- Janes Island – Sheldon Linn
- New Business
- Larry March Slalom – Dan Rempp
- Christmas Party – Bob Brunda
- Penny Pantano – Past President
- Ben Bertalan – Southside Film Festival
- Next Meeting – September 5, 2019
A motion was made to accept the May General Membership meeting posted on the club website..
MP – Bill Smith MS – Susan Ritchie P – Majority O – None
Dave Dawson presented the May 2019 Financial Report.
- Expenses for May 2019 totaled $125.00
- Revenue for May 2019 totaled $375.00
- There are two, large outstanding bills the club is expecting to receive.
A motion was made to accept the May 2019 Treasurer Report.
MP – Sheldon Linn MS – Jim Schulte P – Majority O – None
Pat Beltz provided the following update.
- May 11 guide class was cancelled due to not enough participants
- Scheduled June 8 intermediate class is cancelled due to schedule conflict
- Andy Williams posted an intermediate class on the Upper Lehigh scheduled for June 9. Signup for this trip is on Meetup
Pat Beltz provided the following update.
- The series is progressing well and there has been an average of 8-10 individuals participating each week
- Remaining classes (trips) include Glen Onoko x 2 and the Upper Lehigh x 2
Membership Secretary Report
Paula Rempp presented the following membership statistics:
- 266 individual dues paying members (+19)
- 174 families represented (+12)
Janes Island Spring Trip
Sheldon Linn reported that the James Island kayak trip was enjoyed by everyone. There were 29 individuals that participated
Burlington – Fall Trip
Dave Dawson is arranging an “Urban Rivers” kayak trip from September 20-23 in Burlington, NJ. The trip includes navigating the Delaware River in and around the City of Philadelphia as well as exploring some of the area creeks that feed into the river. Accommodations will be at a conference center and the estimated cost will be $50-100 per person not including food.
Larry March Slalom
Dan Rempp announced the following schedule for the 43rd Running of Larry March Slalom.
- September 6 – course and event setup activities
- September 7 – race registration and practice day (clinics)
- September 8 – race day
Volunteers are needed to help prepare and execute this year’s race. Contact Dan if you are available to help in any capacity. Also, everyone should make it a priority this year to come out and race… the best way you can Show Support for your Club.
Penny shared her experiences both as a beginning LVKCC club member and standing President during the 1980’s, including how the club transitioned from being primarily a canoe club to where it is today.
Bob Brunda indicated this year’s event is being planned for a restaurant in Bethlehem. Individuals would order from the menu and the cost would be paid separately.
An update was announced that the Bath Gun Club facilities are also available for rent to the club to host the event
Southside Film Festival
Ben Bertalan approached LVKCC to promote “Feel of Vision”, the story of an individual who became the first blind man to paddle 226 miles of the Colorado River. The Film Festival is held each year in Bethlehem and club members receive free admission to the film
Rich Kaulawiec introduced himself as a member of LVKCC and provided the following information.
- Rich is both a L3 kayak instructor and certified swiftwater rescue instructor and would be interested in providing these services for the club.
- Rich explained there is an initiative underway within the ACA to build a World River Center to showcase the origins, evolution and current state of paddlesports. It’s expected to be a $20m undertaking and will be located in or around a let-to-be-announced East Coast city.
- Members at ACA promoting the initiative include Pam Dillon, Theresa Shamota, Dan Demory, Chris Stack and Craig Lewis
Next Meeting – September 5, 2019 at Lehigh Gap Nature Center (pot luck)
A motion was made at 7:34 pm to adjourn the meeting.
MP – Sheldon Linn MS – Dan Rempp
Respectfully submitted: Joe Ondek – Recording Secretary