LVKCC Executive Board Minutes – June 9, 2022
Place – Dan Morton’s House
Executive Board Meeting per Request of Scott Douglas
Executive Committee Members:
President – Dan Morton Vice President – Rachel Connolly
Recording Secretary – Mike Swartley Treasurer – Rita Snyder
Membership Secretary – Jill Evans
Members at Large – Gery Kirkner & Dave Dawson
Webmaster – Dan Rempp
Education Instruction Coordinator – Scott Douglas
Members present: 6 (Dan Morton, Rachel Connolly, Mike Swartley, Rita Snyder, Pat Beltz, Scott Douglas )
The meeting started at 8:05pm.
The purpose of this meeting was to hear Scott Douglas’ concerns with the Boating Activity Policy. It was decided from the start no decisions or changes would be made at this meeting.
Boating Activity Policy Discussion
Scott stated he was at the meeting as the Chairman of the Education Committee. He requested this meeting to discuss his concerns with the LVKCC Boating Activity Policy which was approved at the June 2022 Business Meeting. Scott’s concern is a phrase under the Section “Requirements for Trip Guides”. Specifically the underlined and bolded phrase in the sentences below.
“The Club will consider, but is not obligated to accept, guide training from another provider or past experience. The approval of equivalent courses is at the discretion of the LVKCC Education and Training Committee”.
– Scott does not wish to certify anyone based on past experience (in bold for emphasis). Certification can lead to liability in the event of an accident. Scott wishes only to provide information via our Education program. Scott said he had no problem with evaluating guide training from another provider and deciding if it was acceptable and on the level with our club’s training
A discussion followed on liability, insurance and Club options. Key discussion points:
– Our education courses have insurance coverage because they are formal and protected.
– Trips are not necessarily protected.
– Other clubs who use ACA or BCU certified instructors. They do not certify their own instructors.
– Pat and others: Insurance provides better protection if a club has clear guidelines and follow procedures.
– A suggestion to form a “Trip Running Committee” was made to vet trips and leaders. No action taken.
It was noted that the LVKCC Boating Activity Policy is not implemented because part of it – specifically the on-line policy session – is not in place.
It is expected there will be motions and a vote at the next General Membership Meeting on September 1st. Most likely this will be to amend the “Requirements for Trip Guides” and discuss formation of a Trip Planning Committee.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:19pm.
Respectfully submitted: Mike Swartley– Recording Secretary