LEHIGH VALLEY KAYAK AND CANOE CLUB
PO BOX 20194, LEHIGH VLLEY, PA 181002
LVKCC MINUTES-May 3, 2018
Lehigh Gap Nature Center – 8844 Paint Mill Road, Slatington PA, 18080
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Executive Committee Member Present
President- Linda A. Martin
Vice President- Larry Palmer
Members at Large – Eric Schweitzer
Web Master – Dan Rempp
Education Instructional Coordinator – Scott Douglas
Executive Committee Members Not Present
Recording Secretary – Joe Ondeck
Treasurer – Dave Dawson
Membership Secretary – Paula Rempp
Member at Large – Hans Wagner
General members Present (count) -Attendance not taken
A potluck dinner was held before the gnarl membership meeting.
Linda A. Martin called the meeting to order at 7 PM and presented the following agenda:
- Recording Secretary Report- Minutes March/April 2018 – Joe Ondeck
- Treasures Re[port – Dave Dawson
- Members Secretary Report – Paula Rempp
- Webmasters Report – Dan Rempp
- Hospitality Committee Report- Dan Rempp
- Trip Committee Report – Sheldon Linn
- Educational Instructional Report – Scott Douglas
- Beginners Series -Eric Schweitzer
- Beginning Canoe Class on Walnutport Canal – Dan Rempp
- Skill Refresher Class for Recreational and Sea kayaks – Dan Rempp
- Blue Mountain Fish and Game Association Youth Day – Dan Rempp
- Larry march Slalom – Dan Rempp
- TRR Report – Jim Schulte
- By Laws Report – Larry Palmer
- Paddler of the Year Awards-
- Pool Update – Linda A. Martin
- Wildlands Conservancy Lehigh Water Trail Report – Dan Rempp
- Lake Nockamixon Letter of Authorization Report
- Swap Meet
- Canoe Class
MP – Motion Presents by P – passed by membership
MS – Motion Seconded O – Objections
Linda A. Martin acting on behalf of Joe Ondeck
Meeting Minutes from from March / April General membership Meeting were approved and posted on the website.
MP – Bill Smith MS – Larry Palmer P- Majority O- None
Linda A. Martin Acting on behalf of Dave Dawson present April 2018 Financial Report
- Opening club checking balance $7455.34
- Expenses through April 2018. $ 697.85
- Revenue through April 2018 $ 780.00
- Checking Account Ending Balance $7537.49
- Savings Account Ending Balance $14184.02
- Total Accounts Balance $ 22004.19
A motion was raised to accept the April 2018 Treasurer’s Report
MP – Bill Smith MS- Larry Palmer P- Majority O- None
Membership Secretary’s Report
No report given.
Dan Rempp reported that the club website receives approximately 1000 hits per day. Due to changes in Facebook policy regarding streaming of Facebook on websites, our Facebook page is no longer being streamed. Web master Dan Rempp contacted our website IP about the issue.
Hospitality Committee Report
Hospitality committee chairman Dan Rempp reported that the year’s holiday party will be held on December 7 from 6:30 PM to 9 PM at the Trip Bro Sportmen’s Club in Northampton PM. Dan asked how members felt about having Mission BBQ cater the meal for a second time. The response form members present was favorable. Dan will follow up on this at the October 2018 General Membership meeting.
Trip Committee Report
Sheldon Linn reported on the Spring trip to Camp Lets on the Chesapeake and the Fall Trip to the Jersey Shore.
Educational Instructional Report
Scott Douglas reported that the L1 kayak certification class has 10 students and will be held at Lake Nockamixon June 8,9, 10. A proposed L3-L4 white water certification class is proposed for the fall. Scott also reported that there will intermediate trips on the Stoney, Lower Youth, and Mongap.
Eric Schweitzer reported that the winter pool class Beginner’s Series is underway with 8 training trips planned for late spring and early summer on the Lehigh River.
Eric also reported that there will also be be practice sessions on the Little Lehigh through the spring and summer months for anyone wanting to work on basic white water skills. The session will take place on Tuesday from 5:00-7:00 PM.
Beginning Canoe Class on Walnutport Canal
Dan Rempp asked for volunteers to help with a beginning canoe class to be offered by the Northern Lehigh Recreational Center on the Walnutport Canal on July 14 from 1 PM until 3 PM.
Skill Refresher Class for Recreational and Sea Kayaks
Dan Rempp reported that a skills refresher class will be offered by the club at Leaser Lake on July 1 from 10 AM until 2 PM.
Blue Mountain Fish and Game Association Youth Day
Dan Rempp is looking for safety boaters for the event. The program runs from 7 AM until 5 PM. Contact Dan at email@example.com if you are interested in helping.
Larry March Slalom Race 2018
Dan Rempp reported that the Larry March Slalom Race will take pace on September 9 on the Little Lehigh from 8 AM until 5 PM. Help is needed to set up the race course on September 7, run clinics and registration on September 8, and staff the race on September 9. Due to decreasing participation from club members Dan reported this may be the last year for the race which has run consecutively for the past 41 years.
No report given.
Bylaws Committee Report
Larry Palmer, committee chair, reported that committee met once and is working on changes to the bylaws to have our club fiscal year coincide with the calendar year and clarify who are members of the executive committee.
Paddler of the Year Awards
Scott Douglas updated members on the status of the engraving for the 2018 awards.
Linda A. Martin reported on the latest concerning our need for a pool for the winter. Upper Perkioman has not invited us back and a meeting scheduled to discuss the mater has not been held. Lafayette College has indicated they are interested in continuing to host our winter sessions since their pool renovations are now complete. Linda asked if anyone has a firm contact for a pool please give her that information.
- Dan Rempp gave a brief report on a meeting he attended at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center sponsored by the Wildlands Conservancy on the Lehigh River Water Trail. Dan is a member of a sub committee on water trail access points.
- Dan Rempp updated members on the status of our club’s request for a Letter of Authorization to run club sponsored events at lake Nockamixon for 2018.
- Johanna Meeker updated the club on a proposed white water canoe class. She was looking for input about what kind of class would be most appropriate. No dates for the class were given.
- Th next club event will be a Swap Meet to be held at the Little Lehigh practice are on June 5 from 5:30 PM until dusk.
Respectfully submitted by,
Acting Recording Secretary