Lehigh Valley Kayak and Canoe Club
PO Box 20194, Lehigh Valley, PA 18002
LVKCC MINUTES – September 6, 2018
Lehigh Gap Nature Center, 8844 Paint Mill Rd, Slatington, PA
Paddle, Pot Luck and General Membership Meeting
Executive Committee Members Present:
President — Linda A. Martin
Treasurer — Dave Dawson
Recording Secretary — Joe Ondek
Membership Secretary — Paula Rempp
Webmaster — Dan Rempp
Members at Large – Eric Schweitzer
General Members Present (count): Attendance not collected
Linda Martin called the membership meeting to order and presented the following agenda
- Recording Secretary Report- Minutes – June 2018 – Joe Ondek
- Treasurers Report- Dave Dawson
- Members Secretary Report- Paula Rempp
- Web Master Report- Dan Rempp
- Hospitality Committee Report
- Educational Instructors Report – Scott Douglas
- Costal Kayaking – Cie certifications
- Beginners Series – Eric Schweitzer
- Blue Mountain Fish & Game Association Youth Day
- Northern Lehigh Recreational Canoe Training
- Rock Hoppers Report
- Larry March Slalom
- Winter Pool Sessions
- Bylaws Committee
- Trip Committee Chair
- New Business
- Walnutport Fest – Bob Brunda
- Nominations Committee – Scott Douglas
- Allagash Trip 2019
- Next General Membership Meeting Announced
Dan Rempp announced the meeting minutes from the June General Membership meeting have been posted to the website. Linda Martin submitted a motion to accept the June meeting minutes.
MP – Linda Martin MS – Larry Palmer P – Majority O – None
Dave Dawson presented the August 2018 LVKCC Financial Report and ending balance for all accounts from May through July
Aug 2018 Ending Balance – All Accounts $22,181.07
- Opening club checking account balance was $7,261.80
- Expenses through August 2018 totaled $2,050.00
- Revenue through August 2018 totaled $1,912.44
- The final checking account balance was $7,124.24
- Savings account balance was $14,185.44
- PayPal account balance was $871.39
July 2018 Ending Balance – All Accounts $22,061
June 2018 Ending Balance – All Accounts $21,000
May 2018 Ending Balance – All Accounts $20,747
It was noted that the August account balance is within $100 of the 2018 fiscal year beginning balance. A motion was presented to accept the August 2018 report.
MP – Larry Palmer MS – Eric Schweitzer P – Majority O – None
Membership Secretary Report
Paula Rempp presented the following membership statistics:
- 333 individual dues paying members (+64)
- 216 families represented (+37)
- 1377 members on Facebook (+111)
- 973 members on Meetup (+70)
Dan Rempp did not have any new developments to report on the club website.
Hospitality Committee Report
Joanne Novak accepted the nomination for Chairperson of the Hospitality Committee.
Reservations for the 2018 Holiday Party are in-progress along with a tentative menu.
Education Committee Report
Scott Douglas was not in attendance to provide a report. However, the following results from the recent ACA Training and Certification clinic were presented
- Eight (8) LVKCC members attended the 5 day course
- Instruction was provided by Ben (primary) and Scott (assisting)
- The format included a developer workshop and personal skills assessment
- Participants were evaluated on their ability to both demonstrate and teach the skills presented
- All LVKCC members completed the training and attained various levels of ACA certification
Cie Stroud was not able to get ACA L3 certification for Costal Kayaking instruction because the class was cancelled by the instructor because the waters on the Chesapeake where the class was to be held where determined by the instructor to be unsafe due to runoff from recent rain storms.
Eric Schweitzer provided summary results from the 2018 Beginners Series education
- 12 participants started the series beginning in May
- 5 participants completed the series
- The course consisted of 8 sessions beginning on the lower sections of the Lehigh River and concluding on the Upper Gorge
Blue Mountain Fish & Game Association Youth Day
Gale Maleskey, CC Hawk, Pat Beltz and Greg Wochak (sp?) all participated in the June 16 event that included 80 children learning basic kayak and canoe skills.
Northern Lehigh Recreational Canoe Training
Pat Beltz, Mark Honeywell and Dan Rempp all participated in the July 11 event in the Lehighton/Slatington area that included 15 participants.
A presentation is being prepared for the November General Membership Meeting.
Additionally, a TRR presentation is being scheduled for the October General Membership Meeting.
Larry March Slalom
Dan Rempp presented the following schedule of events for the 2018 Larry March Slalom
- Event takes place the weekend of September 8-9
- Volunteers needed Friday September 7 to set-up the course
- Race registration on Saturday, September 8 from 8 am to 12 noon
- Practice/instruction clinic on Saturday, September 8 from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Race activities begin Sunday, September 9 at 8 am
- Registration is $20 for the event and $5 for each class the participant enters
- The purchase of food and concessions will be available by the club
Winter Pool Sessions
After exhaustive negotiations with current and former pool sites, the only location open to the club in 2019 is Lafayette College at a cost of $8,476. This is an increase of ~$3500 from this year’s fee. Revenue earned from this year’s classes and general attendance amounted to ~$7,000. Dates for the 2019 Pool Sessions:
January 6, 13, 20 and 27
February 3, 10, 17 and 24
March 3, 10 and 31
April 7 and 14
A motion was presented to authorize the club to enter an agreement with Lafayette College for the rental of the pool for the sum of $8,476.
MP – Larry Palmer MS – Mary Giolando P – Majority O – None
Dave Dawson presented a proposed fee schedule to help offset the increase in the pool rental fee.
- Costal Kayak Class – $40 (+$10)
- Flat-water/Recreational Kayak Class – $55 (+$10)
- Moving Water Class – $180 (+$30)
- Day use fee – $15 (+$5)
- Day use child fee – $5 (NC)
- All sessions fee – $150
A motion was presented to approve the proposed increased fee schedule.
MP – Larry Palmer MS – Dan Rempp P – Majority O – None
The club has been unable to find a volunteer to chair this committee. As such, Linda Martin directed this committee be formally disbanded.
Bob Brunda is seeking volunteers to help with the event to be held October 21st at the Walnutport Canal. Interested individuals should contact Bob for more information about the event and activities where volunteers are needed
Allagash Trip 2019
Contact Scott Douglas for information or if you are interested in possibly attending this trip.
The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for Thursday, October 4th at the Wildlands Conservancy – 3701 Orchid Place, Emmaus, PA 18049.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Respectfully submitted: Joe Ondek – Recording Secretary