Lehigh Valley Kayak and Canoe Club
PO Box 20194, Lehigh Valley, PA 18002
LVKCC MINUTES – September 5, 2019
Lehigh Gap Nature Center, 8844 Paint Mill Rd, Slatington, PA
Paddle, Pot Luck and General Membership Meeting
Executive Committee Members Present:
President — Linda A. Martin
Treasurer — Dave Dawson
Recording Secretary — Joe Ondek
Membership Secretary — Paula Rempp
Webmaster — Dan Rempp
Members at Large — Pat Beltz
General Members Present (count): Attendance not collected
Linda Martin called the membership meeting to order at 7:37 pm and presented the following agenda
- Recording Secretary Report- Minutes May – Joe Ondeck
- Treasurers Report-September- David Dawson
- Members Secretary Report- Paula Rempp
- Web Master Report-Dan Rempp
- Educational Instructors Report – Scott Douglas- (Education committee)
- Larry March Slalom -Dan Rempp
- Burlington kayaking Trip-Dave Dawson
- New Business
- Little Lehigh – (gabions) -Hans Wagner
- Congratulations to Cie Stroud. She earned L3 for coastal kayaking and a rolling endorsement. First one to do so from our club.
- Walnutport Canal Festival-Dan Rempp
- Vice President – (job change)- asking for volunteers -I will appoint shortly
- Bylaws Committee Chair Larry Palmer – (Jane Pali-Past President –Dave Dawson Treasurer – Sheldon Linn sea kayaking –Larry Palmer -white water Hans and I.)
- Lafayette Pool for 2020
- Cie will be doing ACA Level 3 Coastal Kayaking Basic Strokes and Rescue Class September 29, 2019
- Business Cards
A motion was made to accept the June General Membership meeting posted on the club website..
MP – Bill Smith MS – Scott Douglas P – Majority O – None
Dave Dawson presented the June 2019 Financial Report.
- Expenses for June 2019 totaled $3365.66
- Revenue for June 2019 totaled $ 1377.77
- Total all LVKCC accounts = $24,083.93
- There is a ~$4000 balance due to Lafayette College for the 2019 pool rental
- The club has not received the final cost from Lafayette for the 2020 pool rental.
A motion was made to accept the June 2019 Treasurer Report.
MP – Gery Kirkner MS – Pat Beltz P – Majority O – None
Scott Douglas provided the following update.
- There were no formal classes scheduled during June
- Scott held a beginner/intermediate class on the Mongaup in July and another on the Upper Lehigh during July and August
- The September trip planned for the Savage/Lower Yough has been cancelled due to schedule conflict
- The October intermediate class currently planned for the Lehigh could be moved to the Lower Yough depending on interest
- There will be a PFD (Saturday) and intermediate (Sunday) class during Toh fest in November
Scott also provided a detailed report summarizing the ACA Instructor Trainer Certification course he successfully completed on July 23, 2019. The report includes a schedule of accomplishments, costs and benefits to LVKCC. A copy of the report is attached to the minutes.
Scott also indicated the Allagash Trip was a resounding success for the 12 participants that attended.
Larry March Slalom
Dan Rempp provided the following details and request for volunteers.
- Friday 9/6
- Course setup beginning 8 am. Additional help still needed.
- Saturday 9/7
- Race registration and remaining setup beginning 8 am
- Race clinic beginning at 11 am with Scott, Greg and Rich instructing
- Sunday 9/8
- Race day
Dan urged all LVKCC club members to come out and participate. A minimum 25 racers are required to cover the expenses of the event.
Gabions in Lehigh Parkway
Hans Wagner contacted the Allentown Parks Department about repairing the damaged gabions and they agreed to develop a schedule to complete the improvements with the objective of avoiding any overtime required of Parks Department employees.
Dave Dawson provided details on the Burlington, NJ sea kayaking trip scheduled for the weekend of September 20. The four day trip includes various scheduled paddles on the Delaware River and several local tributaries. Complete details of the trip can be found on the club website including how to register.
Cie Stroud – L3 Certification
The club is proud to recognize Cie Stroud’s recent ACA L3 Coastal Kayaking Instructor certification with a Rolling Endorsement. Cie is the first member in LVKCC history to earn a L3 certification in this discipline. Congratulation Cie!
Cie will be hosting a Coastal Kayaking Basic Stokes and Rescue class on September 29, 2019. Check Meetup for details and to register.
Dan Rempp announced LVKCC will be assisting with the introductory canoe sessions at this year’s festival on October 20, 2019. The canoe sessions run from 12 pm – 5 pm. Help is also needed beginning at 10 am for setup activities.
Linda Martin presented Larry Parmer’s letter dated September 3, 2019 that indicated, “My work schedule no longer allows me to attend club meetings and many functions of the organization. As such I am resigning effective immediately from my role as Vice President of the LVKCC.
Linda is accepting volunteers for the position for the remainder of 2019 and will appoint an individual from list of applicants.
The committee has not provided any additional information since the last report. Dave Dawson and Pat Beltz will continue with committee activities with the loss of Larry Palmer.
Pool Sessions 2020
Lafayette College provided the following dates for the 2020 pool schedule
- January 5,12,19,26
- February 2,9,16,23
- March 1,8,15,
- April 5
The club is looking for a replacement for Mary Giorlando to coordinate the registration of course participants and collect payments at pool sessions. These responsibilities can be shared by more than one individual.
Linda asked about the current supply of LVKCC business cards. A request to order replenishment cards including the club’s Facebook and Meetup information was presented.
Membership Secretary Report
Paula Rempp presented the following membership statistics:
- 337 individual dues paying members (+71)
- 211 families represented (+37)
- 1631 Facebook (+187)
- 1138 Meetup (+111)
Dan Rempp announced the club acquired two additional kayaks; a Shanai sea kayak and a Riot creek boat. The Shanai is missing hatches. Paddles, PFD’s and spray skirts were also donated.
The club’s Holiday Party on December 6th will be located at Rudy’s Diner Bar and Grill, 1406 Center Street, Bethlehem, PA 18018. The Hospitality Committee will be reviewing the Christmas menu prior to the December 6th party and deciding on four selected menu items from which to choose, rather than having everyone choose individual items. More details to follow.
Next Meeting – October 3, 2019 at Wildlands Conservancy, Emmaus, PA
A motion was made at 8:27 pm to adjourn the meeting.
MP – Linda Martin MS – Joe Ondek
Respectfully submitted: Joe Ondek – Recording Secretary
LVKCC Education Committee
Report on Instructor Trainer Certification
On July 23, 2019 I received my Level 2 Intro to Moving Water Instructor Trainer certification from the ACA as well as an renewal to my L4 Whitewater Instructor cert. The following is a brief summary of the training and associated costs and benefits to the LVKCC.
April 2018: Instructor Trainer Development Workshop (Ben Morton ITE)
June 2018: L1 Instructor Development Workshop (Steve Johnson IT, Scott Douglas ITC)
Aug/Sept 2018: L2-4 Instructor Development Workshop (Ben Morton IT, Scott Douglas ITC)
April/May 2019: L1-4 Instructor Development Workshop (Ben Morton IT, Scott Douglas ITC)
Number of Students: 1
Number of certified LVKCC Instructors: 1
Fee paid to Precision Paddlesports: $300
Cost to LVKCC: $300
Number of Students: 11
Number of certified LVKCC Instructors: 9
Cost to LVKCC: $0
Unreimbursed expenses: $0
Number of Students: 10
Number of certified LVKCC Instructors: 6
Number of LVKCC Instructor renewals: 2
Fee paid to Precision Paddlesports: $2500
Tuition Paid by students (2): $1100
Cost to LVKCC: $1400
Unreimbursed expenses: $290 (paid by Scott Douglas)
Number of Students: 4
Number of certified LVKCC Instructors: 0
Number of LVKCC Instructor renewals: 1
Fee paid to Precision Paddlesports: $2000
Tuition paid by students (4): $2000
Cost to LVKCC: $0
Unreimbursed expenses: $750 (paid by Scott Douglas)
Total cost of workshops: $5340
Total fee paid by LVKCC: $4800
Total tuition paid to LVKCC: $3100
Total unreimbursed expenses: $1040 (paid by Scott Douglas)
Number of certified LVKCC instructors: 15 (valued at $550 each; $8250)
Number of LVKCC Instructor renewals: 3 (valued at $200 each; $600)
Total value of workshops: $8850 (not counting my IT cert)
Net out of pocket by LVKCC: $1700
Therefore, as a result of funding my Instructor Trainer for the club, the LVKCC obtained 15 new Instructors, 1 Instructor Trainer and 3 Instructor renewals at a cost to the club of less than $100 each.
W. Scott Douglas
Instruction Committee Coordinator