Lehigh Valley Kayak and Canoe Club
PO Box 20194, Lehigh Valley, PA 18002
LVKCC MINUTES – June 5, 2018
Little Lehigh Parkway Trail, Allentown, PA
LVKCC Swap Meet and General Membership Meering
Executive Committee Members Present:
President — Linda A. Martin
Treasurer — Dave Dawson
Recording Secretary — Joe Ondek
Membership Secretary — Paula Rempp
Webmaster — Dan Rempp
Members at Large – Eric Schweitzer / Hans Wagner
Education Instructional Coordinator — Scott Douglas
General Members Present (count): Attendance not collected
The LVKCC Swap Meet attracted several members and non-members and was well attended.
Linda Martin called the membership meeting to order at 7:00 pm and presented the following agenda
- Recording Secretary Report- Minutes – May 2018 – Dan Rempp
- Treasurers Report- Dave Dawson
- Members Secretary Report- Paula Rempp
- Web Master Report- Dan Rempp
- Hospitality Committee Report
- Trip Committee Report- Sheldon Linn
- Old Business
- Blue Mountain Adventure Day June 16
- Northern Lehigh Recreational Canoe Training Day July 14
- Larry March Slalom Race Set-up September 7
- Larry March Slalom Race Clinic Instructors September 8
- Larry March Slalom Race Food Tent September 9
- Larry March Slalom Racers September 9
- Team River Runner (TRR) Report
- Bylaws Report – Larry Palmer
- Pool Update
- New Business
- Paddler of the Year – New Policy
- Level 3 Coastal Kayaking – Cie Stroud
- Trip Committee Chair Update
- Next General Membership Meeting Announced
Dan Rempp announced the meeting minutes from the May General Membership meeting were approved and posted to the website.
Membership Secretary Report
Paula Rempp presented the following membership statistics:
- 269 individual dues paying members (+36)
- 179 families represented (+17)
- 1266 members on Facebook (+27)
- 908 members on Meetup (+41)
Dan Rempp indicated the club website is operating as intended. There are currently no known problems with the site content and prior security (access) issues have been corrected. The site is averaging approximately 1000 visits daily.
Hospitality Committee Report
Linda Martin provided an update on the results of the May 19-22 Camp Letts trip. The next scheduled 2018 sea kayak event is planned for Brigantine NJ (camping & cabin accommodations), September 21-24.
Dave Dawson presented the May 2018 Financial Report.
- Opening club checking account balance was $7,537.49
- Expenses through May 2018 totaled $1,541.50
- Revenue through May 2018 totaled $165.00
- The final checking account balance was $6,160.99
- The final club saving account balance was $14,184.02
- Total of all LVKCC accounts for May 2018 was $20,747.97
Education Committee Report
Scott Douglas informed the membership that the May 12 Guide Class conducted on the Upper Lehigh river was a success and nine additional club members are now qualified to arrange and lead official club outings on that section
The intermediate Stoney Fest class scheduled for May 19-20 was cancelled due to high water levels
The first ACA L1 Instructor Development/Certification Workshop takes place June 10th at Lake Nockamixon. Nine members from the club are participating. The next class takes place June 24th on the Lehigh River.
Trip Committee Report
Linda notified the group that Sheldon Linn resigned as Chairman of the Trip Committee. The club is looking for a willing replacement.
Eric Schweitzer indicated the series is progressing well and new member participation on the trips is down from last year. The next scheduled trip (5th in the series) takes place June 10th on Section 3 (Glen Onoko) of the Lehigh river.
Dan Rempp is seeking help for the Blue Mountain Adventure Day (June 16) and Northern Lehigh Recreational Canoe Training Day (July 14) events. If you are able to assist please contact Dan directly. No experience necessary!
Dan made a plea for not only volunteers to help set-up and organize the 42nd running of the Larry March Slalom but also for club members to PARTICIPATE in the race. Details of this year’s event are as follows:
- Event takes place the weekend of September 8-9
- Volunteers needed Friday September 7 to set-up the course
- Race registration on Saturday, September 8 from 8 am to 12 noon
- Practice/instruction clinic on Saturday, September 8 from 12 noon to 5 pm
- Race activities begin Sunday, September 9 at 8 am
Team River Runner (TRR) report — The group completed the indoor pool sessions at the Rodale Aquatic Center. The first outdoor event at Leaser Lake is scheduled for June 6. For more information on TRR activities and upcoming events visit www.trr-lv.org/events
Winter Pool Update — Upper Perkiomen and the Quakertown YMCA have both indicated the club will not be invited back for the 2019 season due to a variety of reasons. Lafayette College is willing to host the club, however, the proposed fees are approximately $8000. Upper Perk YMCA charged us about $5000 for our 2018 pool session.
Linda Martin introduced a new proposed Paddler of the Year selection policy. Members in attendance had the opportunity to review and comment on the new guidelines for this award. The policy was accepted as written.
MP – Lisa Aderhold MS – Dan Rempp P – Majority O – None
The club is planning to fund a L3 Coastal Kayak Instruction and Certification course for Cie Stroud. The cost for the 5 day course is $675.
MP – Tony Broadwater MS – Gale Maleskey P – Majority O – None
Tony Broadwater announced he and Johanna Meeker are planning to schedule informal Canoe practice sessions on Tuesday evenings at a Sand Island location and at the Little Lehigh Parkway Trail. Some canoes will be available for participants to try. Additional information will be forthcoming on Facebook and Meetup.
The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for September 8 at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, 8844 Paint Mill Rd, Slatington, PA 18080. A paddle and pot-luck dinner will precede the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:26 pm.
Respectfully submitted: Joe Ondek – Recording Secretary