Lehigh Valley Kayak and Canoe Club
PO Box 20194, Lehigh Valley, PA 18002
LVKCC MINUTES – October 3, 2019
Wildlands Conservancy – 3701 Orchid Place, Emmaus, PA 18049
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Executive Committee Members Present:
President — Linda A. Martin
Recording Secretary — Joe Ondek
Membership Secretary — Paula Rempp
Webmaster — Dan Rempp
Members at Large — Pat Beltz & Jim Schulte
General Members Present (count): (19) Members (1) Guest
The meeting was preceded by a presentation from Gery Kirkner, Gale Maleskey and Skip Moyer on their mid-August sea kayaking adventure to Casco and Muscognus Bays in Maine. The 5 day trip included ~25 miles of paddling in and around the many islands found in the bays. The three individuals coordinated with LL Bean who provided kayaks, equipment, itinerary and some of the accommodations they enjoyed during the trip.
Linda Martin called the membership meeting to order at 7:56 pm and presented the following agenda
- Recording Secretary Report- Minutes May – Joe Ondeck
- Treasurers Report-September- David Dawson-No report
- Members Secretary Report- Paula Rempp
- Web Master Report-Dan Rempp
- Educational Instructors Report – Scott Douglas- (Education committee)
- Larry Marsh Slalom – Dan Rempp
- Burlington Trip-Sheldon Linn
- Gabions- Hans Wagner
- Walnutport Festival- Bob Brunda
- Bylaws- Chairman Dave Dawson- Pat, Linda, Jane Pali, Sheldon and Hans
- Vice President- To Be Appointed
- Lafayette Pool- Mary replacement- Pat Beltz
- Business Cards
- Christmas Party December 6, 2019 6:30 Rudy’s Bar and Grill
- New Business
- Slate of Officers- Scott Douglas Delaware River Keepers- Dan Rempp
- November 7, 2019- Presentation
- February 6, 2020 will be a presentation
- Next meeting November 7, 2019
A motion was made to accept the September General Membership meeting minutes modified by Dan Rempp as posted on the club website.
MP – Bill Smith MS – Gery Kirkner P – Majority O – One
Linda Martin presented the September 2019 Financial Report.
- Expenses for September 2019 totaled $2,403.21
- Revenue for September 2019 totaled $ 4,244.18
- Ending checking account balance = $10,682.45
- Ending savings account balance = $14,275.35
- There is a $3978 check issued to Lafayette College that has not been cashed.
A motion was made to accept the September 2019 Treasurer Report.
MP – Dan Rempp MS – Pat Beltz P – Majority O – None
Membership Secretary Report
Paula Rempp presented the following membership statistics:
- 346 individual dues paying members (+9)
- 217 families represented (+6)
- 1643 Facebook (+12)
- 1146 Meetup (+8)
Dan Rempp amused the membership with questions he receives from individuals that visit the club website. The site hosts a form where visitors can present questions or comments related to LVKCC club information. As webmaster, Dan has been responding to inquiries the club receives.
- See report.
- There will be a PFD (Saturday) and intermediate (Sunday) class during Toh fest on November 2-3. Safety boaters are welcome for both days. Contact Scott if you’re interested in helping.
Larry March Slalom
Dan Rempp provided an update from the event that took place on September 7-8 in the Lehigh Parkway, Allentown PA.
- Expenses exceeded receipts for this year’s race due to a decline in participants. The area has been seeing a trending decline in Penn Cup race participation according to other race organizers.
- The club would like to thank the many volunteers that helped with the setup, execution and tear down for this year’s event.
- The following sponsors who contributed financially to this year’s race were recognized at the meeting. LVKCC thanks them for their support.
Joe and Debra Bennett
Joanne and Bob Novak
Cie Stroud provided a summary from the Burlington, NJ sea kayaking trip that took place over the weekend of September 20. There were 20 paddlers that attended the four day trip which explored various sections of the Delaware River and several local tributaries. Excursions included trips on the Delaware from Bordentown to Burlington, Walnut St. to Walnut St. around Philadelphia and separate trips on the north and south sections of the Rancocas Creek.
Gabions in Lehigh Parkway
Hans Wagner received confirmation from the Allentown Parks Department that they intend to assist the club with repairing or replacing the damaged gabions in the Parkway. The work would need to occur weekdays during normal business hours to avoid any overtime by the Parks Dept.. Hans suggested LVKCC develop an overall plan that would include the river features we would like in the creek which could include gabions and/or natural boulders which would be presented to the Parks Dept. for consideration.
In an effort to promote LVKCC, the Lehigh Parkway and the Allentown Parks Department, Hans would like to see the club advertise LVKCC events and opportunities held in the Parkway.
Cie will be hosting a Coastal Kayaking Basic Stokes and Rescue class on September 29, 2019. Check Meetup for details and to register.
Linda Martin confirmed the event is scheduled for October 20, 2019 from 12 pm – 5 pm. Volunteers are needed beginning at 10 am for setup activities as well as during the afternoon to assist with getting the people in boats. Safety boaters are also needed. If you can spend a few hours or the entire day, please contact Dan Rempp for details or with questions.
Vice President – Vacancy
Linda Martin appointed Pat Beltz to the position for the remainder of the term which ends December 31, 2019. Congratulations Pat!
Lafayette Pool Sessions 2020 – Mary Giorlando Replacement
Pat Beltz volunteered to assume the administration and coordination responsibilities for the 2020 pool sessions. This includes initial participant registration, providing information and answering questions about the program and helping coordinate loaner equipment for course participant.
Volunteers are still needed to help at the pool on the evenings the sessions occur. This includes collecting payments for individual and family practice sessions and helping coordinate activities poolside. Paula Rempp was the first to volunteer but more people are encouraged to assist.
It was also recommended to have volunteer “boat inspectors” like what was done during 2019 to ensure every boat is rinsed and clean of debris before it is allowed in the pool. It was suggested that individuals remove float bags for the pool sessions to help minimize getting debris in the pools.
Slate of Officers
Voting for LVKCC officers will be taken during the next General Membership scheduled November 7, 2019. The new appointments are effective January 1, 2020. Linda Martin presented the following nominations:
- President – Pat Beltz
- Vice President – Dan Morton and Skip Moyer
- Member at Large – Gery Kirkner and Sheldon Linn
- Secretary – Tracy Lenoir (nominated during meeting by Pat Beltz and accepted)
Nominations are still being accepted up until the voting takes place. Individuals can be nominated for more than one position.
Delaware River Keepers
Dan Rempp presented a request from the Delaware River Keepers to petition the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure to investigate the FERC oversight of pipeline management in our river systems. A motion was presented for LVKCC to officially endorse the petition and join several other organizations that had already signaled their support. An objection was raised regarding LVKCC taking a position related to political events. Jim Schulte requested a Call to Vote.
Nineteen members voted with (7) In-favor and (12) Opposed. The motion was defeated.
MP – Dan Rempp MS – Gery Kirkner P – (7) O – (12)
Future Meeting Presentations
November 7, 2019 – Jerry McAward – Guest Speaker
February 6, 2020 – Gary Leander (Friends of the Nesky) – Nescopeak Creek
The Holiday Party will be held on December 6th at Rudy’s Diner Bar and Grill, 1406 Center Street, Bethlehem, PA 18018. Individuals can choose from four pre-selected menu items and the per person cost will depend on your selection.
Next Meeting – November 7, 2019 at Wildlands Conservancy, Emmaus, PA
A motion was made at 8:43 pm to adjourn the meeting.
MP – Gery Kirkner MS – Bob Novak
Respectfully submitted: Joe Ondek – Recording Secretary